12 ounces fresh strawberries, washed, cleaned and sliced
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
15 ounces Italian Arborio Rice
8 cups vegetable broth, hot
1 1/2 oz. Grano Padano, freshly grated
1. In a pan combine the cream with the rinsed and drained strawberries; stir well with a wooden spoon while cooking over low heat for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a stainless steel pot saute the chopped onion with a tablespoon of the butter (reserve the remainder of the butter for later). Add the rice and stir.
3. Once the rice has begun to turn white and make a popping sound, about two or three minutes, slowly add the broth (about a ladle or a cup at a time). Keep adding the broth as the rice absorbs the hot liquid, stirring continually with a wooden spoon.
4. When the risotto is 95% cooked, slowly add in the cream and strawberry mixture, stirring well until heated through.
5. When cooked, remove from heat and add the remaining butter. Stir well and serve.
6. The grated cheese can either be added directly to the risotto or served on the side.
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
Cooking time for the risotto: 16-20 minutes.
Variation: Blueberries may be substituted for strawberries, if desired.