Acorn Squash 1 each
Brown Sugar (light brown) 1 Tbsp
Butter (Whole) 2 Tbsp
Salt and Black pepper 1 pinch
Tronchon Cheese (small dice) 1 cup
(igourmet Spanish cheese section)
Roasted garlic cloves 5 each
Spanish onion (small dice) 1 each (small)
Chicken broth or stock 1 quart
Fresh Chives (for garnish) ¼ cup
Method for the Squash:
1. Split the acorn squash in half vertically, trimming off just a little of each half so the two halves stand with out rocking.
2. Using a spoon or ice-cream scoop remove the seeds and stringy flesh.
3. Place the butter and sugar in the center of each half and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place on a baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for one hour or till very soft.
5. Remove from the oven, cool and remove the meat of the squash from the skin.
Method for the soup:
1. In a medium sauce pot sweat the onions over medium high heat till they are translucent.
2. Add the whole roasted garlic cloves and continue to sweat for two to three minutes over medium heat.
3. Add the squash meat and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes till warmed through.
4. Add the heavy cream and chicken stock and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Last ass the igourmet Tronchon cheeses and stir till the cheese is completely melted.
6. Last puree the soup with a hand held blender or purée in a stand up blender. (Note: If using a stand up blender let the soup cool till warm before blending. Also never fill the blender more than half way as the soup will combust when the blending and always keep your hand firmly on the top when blending.)
7. After the soup is well blended, check the seasoning with salt and pepper and gently bring back to a hot temperature.
8. Season with chopped chives and serve.
This recipe has been exclusively prepared for igourmet by Chef Andrew J. Selz CEC