Sweet German Ale 1 qt.
Paprika Suwalski with Vegetables, igourmet.com ¼ lb
Lemon, strained juice ½ ea
Lemon rind, grated ½ tsp
Cinnamon, stick 1 ea
Cornstarch 1 Tbsp
Water, cold 1 Tbsp
Milk, hot 2 cups
Egg yolks, beaten well 2 lg
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In pan over medium heat, combine ale, lemon juice, rind, cinnamon, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and stir in cornstarch mixed with water.
3. Stir until beer thickens and clears.
4. Whip ½ cup hot milk into the egg yolks and scrape back into the remaining hot milk, then stir both into the beer.
5. Heat to just below boiling. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cube cheese into small pieces.
7. Remove soup from heat and slowly stir in cheese until completely melted.
Yield: 6 servings
Chef Notes: Discard the cinnamon stick and ladle the soup into mugs. Garnish with a few croutons. This soup can be used as a fondue also.
Wine Suggestions: Semi sweet Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc
This recipe prepared exclusively for igourmet.com by Chef Andrew Selz CEC.