Recipe created exclusively for igourmet by Evan Madden-Peister
For the Salad
½ Pound of sunflower sprouts
¼ Pound chorizo
¼ Pound dried cherries
1/8 Pound San Ignacio blue cheese
1 Teaspoon of olive oil
For the Herbed Citrus Vinaigrette
2 Teaspoons chives, finely diced
2 Teaspoons of parsley, finely diced
¼ Cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
1/8 Cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
2/3 Cup of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Wash and dry the sunflower sprouts and set them aside
2) Dice the chorizo into small cubes. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat, coat the pan with the olive oil and cook the chorizo until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the chorizo from the pan and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
3) Dice the cherries in halves or quarters and combine them with the sunflower sprouts.
4) Prepare your vinaigrette: place the chives, parsley, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk well to combine.
5) Drizzle the olive oil into the juice/herb mixture in a slow but steady stream until all of the olive oil is gone and the mixture has emulsified. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
6) Crumble half of the blue cheese over the salad, add half of the chorizo, dress the salad lightly with the vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
7) Top the salad with the remaining blue cheese and chorizo and serve.