Recipe created by Evan Madden-Peister
For the Pears
4 pears sliced lengthwise
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup of sugar
1 cup of red wine
2 teaspoons of unsalted butter
For the Chocolate Sauce
3 oz. dark chocolate
6 oz. heavy cream
1 teaspoon of butter
For the Blue Cheese
2 oz. Atalanta Blue Cheese (or Blue Castello may be substituted)
1) Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the pan and sauté the pears until they begin to get soft, about 3-4 minutes.
2) Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook the mixture until the sugar begins to caramelize.
3) Add the red wine, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and bring it down to a simmer.
4) As the red wine is reducing make your chocolate sauce: break the chocolate up into little pieces and set it aside in a bowl.
5) Place the cream in a saucepot, bring it up to a simmer, pour it over the chocolate and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
6) Whisk the chocolate and cream mixture together and swirl in a teaspoon of butter at the end.
7) Once the red wine has reduced almost completely take the pears off the heat.
8) To serve: take the blue cheese, divide it up into 4 equal portions, shape each portion into a small disc or ball and place it in the middle of a plate. Take a quarter of the pears, fan them around the cheese, ladle some chocolate sauce around them and enjoy.