1 tbsp olive oil
1 small egg
1 oz plain yogurt
1/4 tsp baking soda
egg & milk to brush lid
1 1/2 lbs leeks
1 small onion
fresh ginger to taste
1/2 tsp carraway seeds
4 whole chestnuts
3 tsp wholegrain mustard
4oz Blue Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 360 degreesF. To make the pastry, rub the butter and oil into the flour and add the baking soda, egg, yogurt and salt. Knead well until bouncy. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
2. For the filling, chop the leeks on a slant. Peel and chop the onion, roughly chop the chestnuts.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the leeks and onions until soft. Add the ginger, carraway, chestnuts and mustard. Season to taste. Cut the cheese into chunks. Remove the leek mix from heat and carefully stir in the cheese.
4. Roll out 2/3rds of the pastry to line the flan tin. Fill with the leek and cheese mixture and roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid.
5. Put the lid over and crimp well to seal. Glaze with egg and milk and cut a cross in the center for steam to escape. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
This pie can also be eaten cold.