For the Potato topping:
2lb potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
150ml whole milk
6 oz Green Thunder cheese, crumbled (or you could use other flavored cheeses such as Black Mountain, Red Dragon or Harlech)
Salt, Pepper and Parsley to taste
For the vegetables -
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 stick of celery, chopped
1 leek, halved and sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 red pepper, chopped
12oz can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
12oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried mixed herbs(thyme, oregano, rosemary)
1 tsp tomato purée
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil the potatoes
2. Meanwhile heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, celery, leek, pepper, fennel and carrot and fry gently for 10 minutes.
3. Add the beans, tomatoes, herbs and tomato purée with 3 tbsp wine. Season to taste and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. When the potatoes are cooked drain and heat the milk to boiling point. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mash until smooth. Season to taste. Beat in half the cheese.
5. Spoon the beans and tomato mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the cheesy mash. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
6. Cook for 20 minutes in pre-heated oven at 375 until the topping is golden brown.