6 large eggs
4 oz diced pancetta
1 cup sliced porcini mushrooms (if using dried rehydrate beforehand)
3 oz smoked ricotta, scamorza or smoked caciocavallo, cubed very small
3/4 cup diced onion
1 cup fresh basil finely sliced
1 tbsp freshly mined garlic
butter with sea salt
pinch of dried thyme and oregano
1 cup orzo pasta
2 tbsp shaved Grana or Parmigiano
1 can chicken broth
1. Preheat a 8 inch pot. Add 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 of the diced onion, and garlic, and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
2. Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender.
3. Remove lid and stir in 2 tbsp shaved Hard Italian Cheese. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. In skillet melt 2 tbsp butter over medium high heat. Add pancetta, porcini and remaining onion.
5. Whisk together eggs, 1/2 of the basil, dried herbs and cheese.
6. After 4-5 minutes add orzo to skillet and stir, then add egg mixture.
7. Cook as desired - for omelettes let cook and carefully flip when underside browns, for scramblers scramble away!
8. Garnish with remainding basil and serve with toasted white country bread.