2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 diced onion
1 cup whole milk
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
8 oz grated Volendam or Maasdam
Salt & pepper to taste
pinch of pimenton de la vera dulce (sweet paprika)
1 cup crunchy garlic croutons, or a couple of slices toasted dark walnut bread
1. Over low heat, melt the butter. Add onion and cook until tender.
2. Gently stir in the flour, and then begin to pour broth and milk into the pan. Stir continuously until sauce thickens.
3. Add salt, pepper & paprika.
4. Slowly add the grated cheese and cook through.
5. Serve immediatly with croutons or toast.