1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1 cup water
6 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1 cup grated Cabot Horseradish Cheddar
To make egg wash:
1. In small bowl, whisk together egg and water; set aside.
To make puffs:
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Butter two baking sheets or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In heavy saucepan, bring water, butter, salt and pepper to boil. Add all flour at once and stir vigorously with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until mixture is smooth.
3. Transfer to mixing bowl. Stir in one egg at a time until completely incorporated. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and silky. Stir in cheese.
4. Using pastry bag with large plain tip or two small spoons dipped in warm water, form dough into small (1 1/4-inch) mounds, about 1 1/2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops lightly with reserved egg wash.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
(Puffs can be made in advance and stored overnight at room temperature in airtight container; reheat at 350ºF before serving.)
Makes about 3 dozen.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeffrey Weiss