1/2 cup McCann’s Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/2 cup Boiling Water
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 medium Carrot, peeled and grated
2 cups Mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
3/4 cup Chopped Mixed Nuts
2 tablespoons Chopped Parsley
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
Ground Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1. Pour boiling water over the Steel Cut Oatmeal and let it stand until all the water is absorbed.
2. In a large deep pan, fry onions in the oil over a medium heat for about three minutes.
3. Add carrot, mushrooms and oatmeal and fry for a further five minutes, stirring and mixing occasionally.
4. Turn off the heat and add the breadcrumbs, nuts, parsley, eggs and soy sauce.
5. Season with pepper and mix well.
6. When cool enough to handle, form into burgers by hand, making them about 1" in thickness.
7. The burgers can be prepared to this stage and refrigerated until required.
8. Fry gently in hot oil for about five minutes on each side.
9. Serve with relish/chutney.