¾ c. heavy cream
1 lb. Mascarpone, room temperature
4 eggs, separated
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. + ¾ c. sugar, divided
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Sauteed Apples - ingredients
6 apples, peel, core, ¼-inch slices
2 oz. butter
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt ½ tsp. cinnamon
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ c. of Calvados or applejack Brandy (optional)
Poached Cranberries - ingredients
½ c. water
½ c. sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
2 c. red wine
1 c. maple syrup
12 oz. (1 bag) cranberries, picked over
1. Oil a 9x5 inch loaf pan and then line with plastic wrap, overhanging ends.
2. Whip cream, reserve.
3. Soften Mascarpone gently with paddle. Reserve.
4. In electric mixer, ribbon yolks with the salt and 2 Tbsp. of sugar until mixture is thick and pale yellow in color.
5. Add vanilla extract and cheese.
6. Make Italian meringue with egg whites, remaining ¾ c. sugar and 1/3 c. water.
7. When meringue is cool, fold into cheese/egg mixture.
8. Fold in reserved cream.
9. Spoon into prepared loaf pan. Smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
Sauteed Apples - directions
1. In large sauté pan, melt butter with sugars and flavorings.
2. Add apples and cook until soft but able to retain shape.
3. Remove from heat, add brandy if desired.
Poached Cranberries - directions
1. Make sugar syrup with water, sugar and lemon juice.
2. Add wine and maple syrup. Bring slowly to boil.
3. Decrease heat and add cranberries. Remove from heat once cranberries start to pop.
4. Strain fruit from liquid. Allow berries to cool. Reserve liquid.
5. Return liquid to heat and reduce syrup by one-half.
6. When syrup is cool, add cranberries and refrigerate overnight.
Plate Mascarpone Semifreddo onto serving dish. Warm apples and place around dessert. Strain cranberries and place a small amount on top of sliced apples. Serve at once.
Yield: 10-12 servings