1 pound ground lamb
1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/3 cup finely grated onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 (7inch) pita breads
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup plain Greek yougurt or Tzatziki
1. Preheat the broiler or a gas grill to 400.
2. In a large bowl, combine the lamb, breadcrumbs, egg yolk, onion, garlic, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, and barbeque sauce; mix well until throughly combined.
3. Shape the mixture into 4 burgers, about 1 inch thick.
4. Broil or grill burgers for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until browned, turning once. Remove burgers from heat and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
5. Warm the pita breads in a pan or on a grill; make a slit on the side of each pita. Place some of the lettuce and sliced onion in each pita, then place a burger inside each one. Spread with yogurt or Tzatziki and season with salt and pepper to taste.