1 free range chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pound), cut into 8 pieces
10 ounce red olives
2 pound fennel bulb
2 small Mustapha's preserved lemons, rinsed and quartered
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 ounce water
6 strands of saffron
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon green anis seed
Fleur de sel Marocaine
1. Wash the fennel bulbs, remove the tough outer layers, and quarter the bulbs.
2. Place the olive oil in a porcelain lined cast iron casserole or a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium high heat, and brown the chicken, onion, garlic, and 4 preserved lemon quarters.
3. Pour in the water, saffron, ginger, and anis and stir.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and cook for about 30 minutes.
5. Add the remainder of the preserved lemon, the fennel and the olives and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
Serves 4 - 6