1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, reserve one white for egg wash
1 1/3 cup flour
1 cup almonds, finely ground
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoons cloves
1 cup raspberry jam from Savoy
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenhiet. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and lemon zest.
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture all at once. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
4. Press 3/4 of the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9x13x2-inch pan. Spread the raspberry jam over the crust.
5. On a well-floured surface, roll out the remaining dough to the size of the pan. Cut the dough diagonally into strips that are 1/2-inch wide. Carefully lay these strips over the jam in a lattice.
5. Combine the reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush this mixture over the lattice of dough. Bake bars in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, or until top is evenly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
Makes 15 squares