4 fresh Black Mission Figs, halved
1 Tbl butter
1/2 C Ruby Port
2 Tbl sugar
1/4 duck or veal demi-glace
For Foie Gras:
3 Tbl butter
1 C sliced mushrooms
1 C sliced shallots
1 C sliced leeks
1 Whole Grade A Raw Foie Gras
1 2/3 C Sauternes
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
4 C Duck and Veal Demi Glace
1. Combine all ingredients for figs in shallow baking dish, then roast at 350 F for 30 minutes. Remove figs and reduce roasting liquid to a syrup by simmering on stovetop.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. Melt 1 Tbl butter in heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallots, mushrooms, and leeks and sweat until tender, stirring as needed.
3. Season foie gras with salt and pepper. Place foie gras on top of warm vegetables in same pan and roast in oven for 20 minutes, or until internal tempreature of foie gras 120 F. Remove foie gras from the pan with a spatula. Handle the foie gras carefully to prevent foie gras from tearing.
4. Increase oven temp to 450 F and preheat a sheet pan in the oven.
5. Meanwhile, return saucepan to top of stove and continue cooking until lightly browned. Pour off fat, then add Sauternes and carefully ignite. Add peppercorns and demi-glace, and reduce sauce by 1/3 over high heat. Add butter and strain through cheesecloth. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
6. Place foie gras on sheet and roast for 3-4 minutes, until foie gras is browned. Remove from oven. Cut large and small lobe of foie gras into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place a slice from each lobe one each of 8 plates. Ladle with sauce, garnish with a fig half, and serve hot.