2 tsp oil
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 red pepper,de-seeded and chopped
1 medium aubergine, cubed
2 medium courgettes, sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans, drained
5 slices bread, cut into triangles
55g/2oz gruyère cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the chilli powder, onion, garlic and red pepper. Fry quickly for about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, kidney beans, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes. Place in a warmed serving dish.
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Toast the bread on one side. Place on top of the ratatouille, toasted side down.
5. Sprinkle the bread with the grated cheese and grill for about 4-5 minutes until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.