Serves 6 to 8
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 tablespoons finely diced preserved lemon
1 cup pitted black Kalamata olives
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1. In a Dutch oven or a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil and butter over high heat. Add the chicken pieces and lightly brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and reduce heat to a medium-low.
2. Add the ginger, turmeric, allspice, paprika, and saffron to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes more stirring occasionally.
3. Return to the chicken skillet. Add the stock and preserved lemon; stir well. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Turn off heat, add the olives, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir, replace cover and let rest fro 5 minutes.
5. To serve, place Cranberry-Curry Couscous on a platter or a tagine serving bowl and spoon the chicken and sauce over the couscous. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.