1 turkey, 6 to 8 pounds, giblets and neck removed, rinsed and patted dry
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 small parsnip, chopped
1 bay leaf
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
3 juniper berries
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sweet apple cider
Apple-Sausage Dressing (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup dark raisins
3 cups sweet apple cider
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup dried onion
1 pound fresh fennel-spiced pork sausage, casing removed
2 crisp, tart apples such as Gala or Granny Smith, peeled and diced
4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
4 cups cubes day-old sourdough bread
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. The day before roasting, season turkey inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss turkey with kitchen twine and refrigerate uncovered overnight.
2. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
3.Put carrots, celery, onion, parsnip, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, and juniper berries in a heavy roasting pan large enough to hold turkey. Rub turkey all over with 1-1/2 tablespoons of the butter, then place on top of vegetables
4.Put turkey in oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees F, and roast uncovered for 45 minutes, basting frequently with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour apple cider into pan and cover turkey loosely with aluminum foil. Continue roasting for 45 minutes more, basting every 15 minutes. While turkey roasts, prepare Apple-Sausage Dressing, and about 40 minutes before turkey is done roasting, put dressing in oven.
6. Pour off excess fat from roasting pan, leaving cider and pan drippings. Place pan over medium heat and stir in flour. Cook flour 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until gravy is thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then strain into a bowl, and serve with turkey and dressing.
Apple- Sausage dressing:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine raisins and apple cider in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to plump.
3. Melt butter in a large oven-proof saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery and onion and cook until vegetables have softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to vegetables. Saute until meat is well browned, about 5 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up meat into small pieces. Stir in apples and sage, and saute 5 minutes.
4. Stir in bread cubes. Season with salt and pepper, then add to a boil, cover, and bake for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove cover, stir, and bake uncovered for 10 minutes more. Liquid should be absorbed and stuffing still moist.