12 large chiles poblanos or any chiles for stuffing
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
16 oz. crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 oz. Queso Blanco or Queso Para Freir, cut in 1/2 inch-thick strips
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup flour
Oil for frying
1. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until tender.
2. Add garlic, tomatoes and salt.
3. Simmer 10 minutes. Keep tomato sauce warm.
4. Place chiles in shallow baking pan. Broil and turn chiles until skin blisters.
5. Place in paper bag and close for about 10 minutes. Wipe the outside of chile with damp cloth to remove charred skin.
6. Make a slit from top to bottom on one side of the chiles. Open the top and carefully cut below the stalk. Remove veins and seeds, being careful not to break the flesh.
7. Stuff with cheese strips.
8. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add one yolk at a time, beating after each addition.
9. Heat about 1 inch of oil in large skillet. Roll stuffed chiles in flour then in egg batter.
10. Gently place in hot oil and brown both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with tomato sauce.