2 Granny Smith apples
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 bunch of mint, stems discarded, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
Lime juice to taste
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon avocado oil
I designed this soup and many others for a Japanese airline – they were interested in healthy, refreshing soups that contained very little fat and cholesterol, so I started playing with fresh fruit and vegetable combinations. This one has a very powerful flavor and is pleasingly acidic - it’s especially refreshing in the spring when cucumbers are first in season. Chilled Cucumber and Apple Soup is a good palate teaser before a meal.
It serves four as an appetizer, or for a bigger crowd, try serving smaller portions in elegant demitasse cups.
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
2. Prepare the apples: cut two apples in half and scoop any seeds out with a knife. Place the halved apples on a baking sheet, then sprinkle the brown sugar onto each half, dividing the sugar evenly between the four halves. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the apples until they are dry, about for 1.5 hours. Let them cool, then scoop the pulp out of each half.
3. Prepare the cucumbers: Peel the cucumbers, the slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds by running a spoon down their length, then cut the cucumber into medium chunks.
4. Blend the ingredients: Add the apple pulp, cucumbers, mint, lime juice, and sherry vinegar to a blender, then puree the mixture until it’s smooth. Taste the soup and add salt and more lime juice to your liking, then chill the soup in the refrigerator for at for least 30 minutes.
5. Chill four serving bowls, then fill each bowl with the chilled soup. Garnish each portion with a swirl of avocado oil and a mint leaf on the top.
“Dinner is Served. Bon Appetit!”
-Chef Patrice Olivon
For a seasonal early spring meal, serve Chilled Cucumber & Apple Soup as an appetizer, then try Crispy Pan-seared Rockfish in a Nest on a bed of Pickled Citrus Carrot Curls with Homemade Tartar Sauce with a Twist on the side. For a refreshing dessert, serve Rhubarb Parfait.