• 1 to 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for the pot
• 24 (8.8. ounces) Piedmontese-style breadsticks, also known as Grissini
• 4 ounces Toma Piemontese broken into small pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• 4 cups homemade chicken broth heated through
• Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish
Using the olive oil, lightly grease the inside of a Dutch oven or large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid.
Break the breadsticks in half and arrange half of the pieces on the bottom of the pot. Layer half of the cheese on top and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon. Dot with half of the butter pieces. Repeat with the remaining breadstick pieces, cheese, cinnamon and butter. Ladle the hot broth on top. Cover, place on the stovetop and cook over low heat for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the breadsticks are soft but still retain their shape. To serve, divide the soup among shallow bowls and top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve immediately.