Just north of the French border lies Chimay, a town in the Belgian forest of Mont du Secours. In 1850, Trappist monks built a Cistercian Abbey there as a place to study, pray and work. In 1862, the monks added a dairy and a brewery to the Abbey to help generate funds for their livelihood. Covered with forests and pastures and crossed by numerous rivers, the countryside of Chimay has always been a livestock-rearing area, and dairy herds mean cheese! Since 1876, the Trappist monks of Scourmont have known the secrets of making this semi-hard cheese made from milk from their farm and matured in the vaulted cellars of the abbey.