The history of Douwe Egberts starts in 1753, when a husband and wife opened The White Ox, a gourmet shop, in the North of Holland. Their offerings focused on coffee, tea and tobacco-- products that were imported from the Far East and traded in Amsterdam. Sales grew rapidly and soon Douwe Egberts started a wholesaling and distribution business. They built their first coffee roasting plant in 1919 and began exporting their premium quality coffee in 1930. By 1960, Douwe Egberts accounted for more than half of Dutch coffee exports. Few coffees can match the heady power and richness of this popular blend.