The French have a festive and convivial tradition of gathering before a meal to share a glass of wine, cocktails and savory small dishes. It is the Apéritif. Originally conceived to "whet the appetite" before dinner or lunch, the Apéritif is part of the famous French gourmet meal which was added in 2010 to UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity list.
Americans have been encouraged to discover this engaging tradition for 8 years now, thanks to French Cocktail Hour, or "Apéritif à la Française", a worldwide initiative by the French Ministry of Food and Agriculture and Fisheries and Sopexa to promote French food, wines and spirits through the concept of Apéritif. Our French Cocktail assortment includes the following decadent foods:
Please note that any item temporarily out of stock will be substituted with a similar item of equal value.
- Fromager d'Affinois: This luscious, Brie-like cheese comes from the Pilat Regional Park in France's Rhone-Alpes. Fromager d'Affinois is a must-try for fans of Saint Andre, Boursaut, or Brie de Meaux. Enjoy this cheese with crisp white wines or champagne, along with apples, grapes, and walnuts. (8 oz)
- Gruyère de Comté : This is a handmade, artisan cheese of the truest type. While modern techniques have been embraced where they can facilitate procedures and increase quality, the production of Comté remains based on traditional methods. This Comté is aged for sixth months, were it develops a tight-knit texture and satiny body. (8 oz)
- Agour with Espelette: The esplette adds a Basque-twist to this classic sheep's milk cheese. Looking at the surface, you would never know this cheese is any different from another wheel of Agour Ossau-Iraty. But unlike the original, this cheese has A.O.C. Espelette Chili Pepper mixed throughout the paste, giving it a burnt orange coloring. (8 oz)
- Agour Basque Dark Cherry Jam: Made of 65% dark cherries and sweetened with cane sugar, this spread is divine with the included cheeses and pate. (3.5 oz)
- Mousse Royale au Sauternes: This Les Trois Petit Cochon product is a delectable mousse of goose liver, pork, mushrooms flavored with the right spices and delicately sweetened with Sauternes wine. A perfect combination! (8 oz)
- Saucisson Sec: This Saucisson Sec is a pork sausage, naturally air-dried. Made from a time-honored recipe in the mountains of France, this sausage is perfect for slicing and serving as an Apéritif. (8 oz)
- Mini Toasts: Perfect for elegant canapés and delicious snacks, you will love these little toasts! (2.75 oz)
This item is not packaged as a gift. If you would like the gift packaged version of this item please click here.