This large, natural-rinded wheel comes to us from the Matos Cheese Factory in Santa Rosa, California. Made of raw milk and aged for seven months, this cheese is reminiscent of aged Portuguese cheeses. And for good reason, the Matos are fourth generation cheese makers, but originally from Sao Jorge in the Azores. Today, Joe handles their farms herd of Holstein and Jersey cows, while in the dairy, Mary and her daughter Silvia create these beautiful wheels of cheese. They originally began making cheese to sell to the large community of Portuguese immigrants in Santa Rosa, but as word spread about this farmhouse cheese, it quickly gained popularity. Aged for seven months, St. George is firm and crumbly, with a slightly earthy flavor and modest bite. This is a wonderful example of old world techniques in modern California.
- Made from unpasteurized cow's milk.
- Suitable for Vegetarians.
- Photo depicts whole 15 lb. form of cheese.
- We cut and wrap this item by the 1/2 pound.
- Please contact us if you would like to purchase the whole form.