Caciocavallo is a member of the pasta filata family of cheeses, where the curd is stretched and kneaded to give the cheese an elastic texture and tangy flavor. Mozzarella, Scamorza, and Provolone also make up this style of cheeses. Caciocavallo, meaning "cheese on horseback," gets its name from the fact that these pear-shaped gourds look like two saddle bags tied together with a length of rope. A delicious cheese on its own, what makes this caciocavallo so exceptional is that it is made from pure water buffalo milk. While some cheeses are "mixed" and may only contain 10% buffalo milk, this caciocavallo from Naples is the real deal. We love the unique flavor the buffalo milk gives this cheese, whether on it's own with prosciutto and fresh vegetables, or melted on a flat bread or in a panini.
- Made from pasteurized 100% water buffalo milk.
- Varieties sold separately.
- Comes in 3 lb whole form.
- We cut and wrap this item by hand.
- Please contact us about purchasing the entire 3 lb caciocavallo.