2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ cup tablespoons sugar, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, cut into ½-inch chunks
2/3 cup whole milk plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon lemon zest
7 ounces crème fraîche mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your hand, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together ¾-cup milk, egg, and lemon zest. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix, as this will make your shortcake tough.
4. Gather the dough into two equal balls and press each into a disk approximately one-inch thick. Cut each round into 8 equal pieces. Brush each piece with some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk and press the wet surface into the remaining two tablespoons of sugar.
5. Place the shortcake triangles on the greased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Serve shortcake warm with your choice of berries and a generous dollop of sweetened crème fraîche.
Serves 8 (save 8 extra shortcake for a rainy day)