1½ lb. dried white beans
8 oz of fresh pork rind with fat (cut into
8 oz of salt pork
1 large diced onion seasoned
with 6 cloves
4 large garlic cloves,
2 finely chopped carrots,
sliced bouquet garni :
2 bay leaves, 1 celery stalk, 3 thyme sprigs,
3 parsley sprigs, pinch of salt
2 Fabrique Délices duck legs confit
4 tablespoons full of duck confit drippings
1 lb. of boned and cubed shoulder of lamb
8 oz of lean pork cut into cubes
6 finely chopped garlic cloves
2 finely chopped large onions
1 lb. of Fabrique Délices garlic sausage,
( halved length wise and cut into small pieces)
2 chopped large tomatoes
8 oz dried spicy garlic sausage( halved length wise) salt and freshly ground pepper to season
For the beans:
1. Soak the beans for at least 6 hours in cold water then drain.
2. Fill a saucepan with water and pork rinds and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Run cold water over the pork rinds until cool enough to handle. Then roll pork rinds and secure them with a string.
4. Combine beans, pork rinds and remaining ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
5. Fill the saucepan with 2 of wate and bring to a boil. Skim off any film that forms on the top of the mixture.
6. Reduce the heat and cook covered for 1 hour. Beans should be cooked but not mushy.
7. Remove from the heat and discard onion and bouquet garni. Remove the pork rinds and cool.
8. Untie and cut rinds into large pieces. Strain liquid from the beans, and set it aside.
For the Cassoulet:
1. Place Fabrique Délices duck confit in a pot of warm water to melt the fat.
2. Take out the legs and remove the meat from the bones. Heat 4 tablespoons of the fat and brown the lamb Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the pork and half the amount of garlic, and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Fry the onions with the remaining garlic. Remove from the heat and pour off the remaining fat into a bowl.
5. Cook the cut side of the fresh sausage in a small amount of fat until it browns.. Remove from heat.
6. Preheat the oven to 275°F.
7. Lay pork rinds fat side down in a large, heavy-bottomed, preferably earthenware.
8. Place one-third of beans over the pork rinds.
9. Layer half of the following ingredients on top of the beans : meats, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
10. Top with half the fresh and dry sausage.
11. Repeat steps #8-10 until all remaining ingredients have been used.
12. Add salt and pepper to taste to the bean liquid.
13. Pour enough of the mixture to just cover the beans. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and drizzle 2 Tablespoons of the meat fat over the top.
14. Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If the cassoulet becomes dry while it cooks, add a small amount of boiling water or stock.
15. The cassoulet has finished cooking when it develops a crust.
16. Remove from oven and serve from the casserole with a green salad.