(for 4 people)
1/2 Pound white button mushrooms
¼ Pound of Pyrenees Vache Cheese
1 Teaspoon tomato paste
½ Cup of white wine
2 Teaspoons of unsalted butter + 4 tablespoons for the grilled cheese
2 Teaspoons of chives
2 Teaspoons of parsley
8 Slices of crusty bread
Salt and pepper
1) Wash, dry, peel and slice your mushrooms into thin slices. Season them with salt and pepper.
2) Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and sauté the mushroom with 2 teaspoons of butter and little bit of olive oil if necessary.
3) Once the mushrooms have browned and softened a little bit, stir in the tomato paste and let the mixture cook for 2 minutes.
4) Add the white wine to the pan and cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the chives and parsley and set aside to cool.
5) Slice the cheese into thin slices and set them aside.
6) Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among four slices of bread, top each piece with an equal amount of cheese and cover the sandwiches with the remaining pieces of bread.
7) Heat a cast iron pan or griddle over medium low heat and melt two tablespoons of butter on the surface. Cook the sandwiches two at a time until they are golden brown on each side and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes a side.
8) Slice the sandwiches in half and serve.
Prepared exclusively for igourmet by Evan Madden-Peister